One missing case on your shipment can cost you dearly, here are a few ways to avoid costly receiving errors.
- Count the products, and then verify that the counts correspond to the quantities on the PO and invoice.
- Weigh products that are purchased by weight (maybe not every product but at least on a spot basis, many companies though weigh every product they buy by weight).
- Inspect for quality, condition and consistency with your specifications.
- Verify that the prices charged on the invoice agree with the prices quoted on the PO.
- Resolve any problems and discrepancies immediately and use a credit memo to make any adjustments.
Source: Food Cost Fitness by Jim Laube used by permission