Beer-Braised Pork Bowl with Arugula-Cilantro Salsa Verde
Pork shoulder, bone-in 4-5 lbs
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Vegetable oil 1/4 cup
Onion, yellow, cut into chunks 2 each
Carrots, cut into chunks 1/2 cup
Celery, cut into chunks 1/2 cup
Garlic Cloves, peeled 8 each
Beer 12 fl oz
Minor’s® Pork Base 2 Tbsp.
Minor’s Fire Roasted Jalapeño Flavor Concentrate 1 Tbsp.
Tomatoes, diced, canned 14 oz
Minor’s GreenLeaf Cilantro Pesto 3/4 cup
Tomatillos, husked, roasted 1/2 lb
Garlic cloves, peeled 6 each
Arugula 3 cups
Lemon zest 2 tsp.
Jalapeños, seeds intact, cut into chunks 2 each
Hominy 5 cups
Corn tortilla strips, fried 3/4 cup
Cilantro, fresh, leaves 3/4 cup
Radishes, thinly sliced 3/4 cup
Lime wedges 10 each
1. Season the pork shoulder generously with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot and brown the pork shoulder on all sides. Reserve to a half sheet pan.
3. In the same pot, add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until the onion is caramelized, and the celery is wilted. Add the garlic cloves.
4. Pour in the beer and reduce until syrupy.
5. Combine the pork base with 2 quarts hot water. Add to the pot, along with the roasted jalapeño concentrate and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
6. Return the pork shoulder to the pot, cover with foil, and place in a 325°F oven for about 3 hours, until pork is fork tender.
7. Cool and shred the pork shoulder; set aside.
8. For the salsa, combine pesto, tomatillos, garlic, arugula, lemon zest, and jalapeños in a blender and blend until just combined. Season to taste with salt.
9. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium sauté pan and add the hominy. Cook until hot and crisp, about 5 minutes.
10. For each serving, place ½ cup of hominy in the base of a bowl.
11. Divide braised pork, salsa, corn tortilla strips, cilantro, radishes, and lime wedges among each bowl.