Eggplant Steaks with Pesto Yogurt and 'Steak' Sauce
Water 3/4 cup
Raisins 1/4 cup
Balsamic vinegar 1/2 cup
Dijon mustard 1/4 cup
Black pepper 1/4 tsp
Garlic cloves, peeled 2 each
Maggi Seasoning 4 g
Minor’s Classical Reductions Reduced Vegetable Stock 3/4 cup
Onion, chopped 2 Tbsp.
Celery seed 1/2 tsp.
Salt 1/4 tsp.
Orange, fresh, whole 1/2 each
Ground cloves 1/8 tsp.
Minor’s GreenLeaf Basil Pesto Gluten Free 1 cup
Ricotta cheese 1 cup
Plain yogurt 1 cup
Lemon zest 1 tsp.
Olive oil 1/2 cup
Minor’s Roasted Garlic Flavor Concentrate 1 Tbsp.
Eggplant, cut lengthwise into ½-in steaks 4 each
Hazelnuts, toasted, roughly chopped 1/2 cup
- For the “steak” sauce, combine the water, raisins, vinegar, Dijon, black pepper, garlic, Maggi, vegetable reduction, onion, celery seed, salt, orange (juice into the saucepan, then add the rind), and cloves in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer, turn off heat, and let steep 30 minutes.
- Remove orange rind from sauce. Puree sauce in a blender, pass through a strainer, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the pesto yogurt, fold together the pesto, ricotta, yogurt, and lemon zest, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat an oiled grill to medium-high. Whisk together the olive oil and roasted garlic concentrate in a small bowl.
- Brush the garlic oil onto each eggplant steak and grill, flipping once, until the eggplant is tender and both sides have been grill-marked.
- To serve, top each eggplant steak with a dollop of the basil yogurt, a drizzle of steak sauce, and a garnish of toasted hazelnuts.